Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

DFS <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It might favor Linux over Windows if Linux was an acceptable alternative to
> Windows.

It is, for me and millions of other people.

> Aside from the fact that Vista is not a 'gas guzzler', big SUVs are still
> selling extremely well in a $3/gallon market.  And they always will.

Demand for SUVs is down and manufacturers and dealers are having to
slash prices to move them.  It is still the most profitable class of
vehicle for American car makers, but that just goes to show how
badly they've missed the boat with hybrids and the like.

> Not everyone is hysterically cheap and/or broke - cost is not nearly a good
>enough reason to switch to Linux.

My point was not about cost, but which operating system is best
suited for the fast growing lightweight desktop / sub-notebook
market.  From a purely performance standpoint, Linux is
obviously a better fit than Vista.  License cost is just just
icing on the cake.

Thad