Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and
>>> dual-core processors.

This is the lie that feeds cola's idiocy, day after day.  Vista does not
demand monster graphics and dual-core processors (though it does benefit a
lot from monster 2gb system memory, which is an absurd amount of memory to
smoothly run a desktop OS).

> Interesting.  I don't know if the current trend of lightweight
> desktops and sub-notebooks will be as market shaking as this
> article implies, but whatever the impact it certainly favors
> Linux over Windows.

It might favor Linux over Windows if Linux was an acceptable alternative to
Windows.

> With Vista, MS has basically rolled out
> a gas guzzling SUV when the market was asking for hybrids.

Aside from the fact that Vista is not a 'gas guzzler', big SUVs are still
selling extremely well in a $3/gallon market.  And they always will.

Not everyone is hysterically cheap and/or broke - cost is not nearly a good
enough reason to switch to Linux.