Re: [News] Ogg Freedom a Point-and-click Away, Interview with the FSF's Mako

____/ Linonut on Sunday 23 December 2007 02:58 : \____

> * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
>
>> OggConvert makes Ogg converts (and converts to Oggs)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| OggConvert is a simple, GUI-based video transcoder that outputs only to the
>>| free Theora and Dirac formats. It couldn't be any easier to use, and it's
>>| the quickest way to get a feel for the still-new Dirac codec. No need to
>>| tweak pages of arcane settings -- just drag, drop, and watch.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/123574
>
> Cool.  Already in debian lenny!

Don't strETCH it. ;-) Tell Microsoft, Apple and Nokia to support Ogg out of the
box.

>> Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Firefox and Opera will support a new HTML tag specifically for embedding
>>| video in Web pages. As long as the browsers support a video's specific
>>| codec, or encoding method, the browsers will then be able to play the video
>>| without launching third-party enabling software, said Chris Double, a
>>| Mozilla engineer. Mozilla and Opera are also working to support the
>>| royalty-free video codec Ogg Theora.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93898
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> Will they keep ads out of the mix <grin>?

Download EarBlack. It does the Van Gogh.

>> Does your browser do video?
>> Opera Browser and Ogg Theora in HTML5 specs
>> Beta version of Open-Source video codec Ogg Theora released
>> How To Live an Open-Source Musical Life With Ogg Vorbis
>> 'Play OGG': FSF launches free audio format campaign
>> Ogg Vorbis Gaining Industry Support
>
> It's about time.
>
>> Alcatel-Lucent says $1.5 billion not enough from Microsoft
>
> <brakes screech> huh?

Let them pay. It's all about their precious IP, remember?

Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

,----[ Quote ]
| Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
| lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
| could be a violation of copyright.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071119-overly-broad-copyright-law-has-made-us-a-nation-of-infringers.html

Open-source IP: Lessons from Marc Fleury

,----[ Quote ]
| The critical components are related to brand, as Marc suggests. It is brand
| that drives business, including in an IP-worshiping proprietary world. No one
| buys from Oracle because of its patents. They buy because the brand suggests
| something to the would-be buyer.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820871-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The First Thanksgiving

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have record companies suing moms, we have artists suing record
| companies, we have writers striking on the media. What has caused all of this
| turmoil? Well the rise of the Internet of course!
`----

http://www.osdcm.com/home/the-first-thanksgiving/

Red Hot Chili Peppers sue Showtime over "Californication"

,----[ Quote ]
| I really like the song "Californication," but it's not an enforceable
| trademark for the Red Hot Chili Peppers...
|
| [...]
|
| I remember hearing people use the word "Californication" often in
| conversations when I used to travel up there in 1997 - 1998 on business.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820873-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com