[News] Ogg Freedom a Point-and-click Away, Interview with the FSF's Mako

  • Subject: [News] Ogg Freedom a Point-and-click Away, Interview with the FSF's Mako
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:19:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OggConvert makes Ogg converts (and converts to Oggs)

,----[ Quote ]
| OggConvert is a simple, GUI-based video transcoder that outputs only to the
| free Theora and Dirac formats. It couldn't be any easier to use, and it's the
| quickest way to get a feel for the still-new Dirac codec. No need to tweak
| pages of arcane settings -- just drag, drop, and watch.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123574

Speaking of Ogg:

Talking with Mako - The FSF's newest board member

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of day two of FOSS camp in Cambridge, I was able to grab some time
| with Benjamin Mako Hill.  I had blogged about Mako's appointment to the board
| of the Free Software Foundation back in July but this was the first time that
| I really got to meet him.  He's quite an amiable guy and very enthusiastic
| about what he's involved with (it definitely comes through in the interview).
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/talking_with_mako_the_fsf

Related:

Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox and Opera will support a new HTML tag specifically for embedding
| video in Web pages. As long as the browsers support a video's specific codec,
| or encoding method, the browsers will then be able to play the video without
| launching third-party enabling software, said Chris Double, a Mozilla
| engineer. Mozilla and Opera are also working to support the royalty-free
| video codec Ogg Theora.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93898

Does your browser do video?

| One of the many great features it sports, which will be of interest to free
| formats enthusiastics, is the multimedia elements: <video> and <audio>.
| Imagine being able to post video and audio in your blog as easily as you do
| with images. On forums, on online shops, on office intranets, on anything. It
| really has the potentional to revolutionize the Web. No more Flash, no more
| YouTube. Independence! And all of this using Vorbis and Theora as the
| baseline codecs!
`----

http://spreadopenmedia.org/2007/11/18/does-your-browser-do-video/

Opera Browser and Ogg Theora in HTML5 specs

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an interview I made with the Opera CTO Hakon Wium Lie at the
| Reboot 9.0 Web 2.0 conference in Copenhagen. He shows the OLPC XO beta-1 in
| the direct sunlight and explains several things about the Opera browser
| software running smoothly on it...
`----

http://olpc.tv/2007/06/01/opera-browser-and-ogg-theora-in-html5-specs/

Beta version of Open-Source video codec Ogg Theora released

,----[ Quote ]
| The source code of the libtheora 1.0 Beta 1 codec library can be downloaded
| from the developer website.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96667/from/rss09

How To Live an Open-Source Musical Life With Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| But with the launch of the FSF's web campaign, the time may be ripe
| for Ogg Vorbis to truly shine. According to Chris "Monty" Montgomery,
| creator of Ogg and founder of the Xiph.org Foundation which oversees
| Ogg's development, such big-name backing has been a long time
| coming.
|
| ... Linux users most likely have Ogg support built in to their machines
| (but you guys already knew that).
`----

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/05/playogg

'Play OGG': FSF launches free audio format campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software
| Foundation (FSF) today launched PlayOGG.org, a campaign to encourage
| use of the patent- and license-free standard OGG Vorbis as an
| ethically, legally and technically superior audio alternative to
| the proprietary MP3 format.
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2007-05/msg00001.html

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17860/Review-The-OGG-Compatible-iRiver-E10

Ogg Vorbis Gaining Industry Support

,----[ Quote ]
| While Ogg Vorbis format has not gained much adoption in music
| sales and portable players, it is not an unsupported format in
| the industry. Toy manufacturers (e.g. speaking dolls), voice
| warning systems, and reactive audio devices exploit Ogg Vorbis
| for its good quality at small bit-rates.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/1931244&from=rss

Alcatel-Lucent says $1.5 billion not enough from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/alcatel-lucent-says-15-billion-not/story.aspx?guid=%7B3B7D3262%2DF68F%2D4BEC%2D94C1%2D5C0A0EEE8021%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/36hu5v