[News] TPM Supported in GNU/Linux, Courtesy of IBM

  • Subject: [News] TPM Supported in GNU/Linux, Courtesy of IBM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:15:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM Brings Trusted Computing to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The architecture involves the "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM) chip that
| provides hardware storage of private keys, making it impossible for hackers
| to spoof computer systems. Any attempts to hack into the system would change
| the system code, which could be easily detected. By adding a new feature to
| Linux, the research team has successfully performed security checks that go
| above and beyond checking the first few steps in powering on the system, the
| feature designed by TCG. The new solution validates the operating system
| kernel and all application software running on the system.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/15574/ibm-brings-trusted-computing-linux

Related:

Trusted Computing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuI6SLFnGbQ

Cisco, Microsoft, Others Get Together On Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Cisco Systems and the open-standards Trusted Computing
| Group each developed their own NAC approaches, which use a variety
| of software and hardware to boost network security.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070531/tech01.html?.v=1

Why Use Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is all about 'premium content'. This is music or video
| that's copyrighted by one of the major music or movie companies.
| Basically, if any such content is being played, Vista goes into
| a sort of 'protected mode'.
`----

http://www.coofercat.com/node/1081

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
| This NAC/NAP lovefest would be laughable if it weren't such
| a kick-in-the-teeth to the rest of the industry, enterprise IT, and
| all Internet users. A Cisco/Microsoft oligopoly stalls implementation,
| stifles innovation, and makes the network less secure. In this way, Cisco
| and Microsoft are standing in the way of progress.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6112960.html?part=rss&tag=6112960&subj=news

Trusted Or Treacherous Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/24/2135217&from=rss

  From:   "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
  Subject:   [News] Bringing a truly trusted "Trusted Computing" to Linux
  Date:   Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:54:28 +0100

,----[ Quote ]
| Trusted Computing in the hands of administrators ... not Microsoft:
|
| The Future of Trusted Linux Computing
|
| .----
| | TC With User Freedom At Helm. The idea of TC in the Linux world is
| | actually a fairly reasonable one. Providing a root-locked, buttoned
| | down environment that system administrators will be able to control
| | the security of the controlled network and those workstations
| | within it.
| |
| | With the absence of proprietary code in the mix, users will indeed,
| | find themselves more inclined to trust their own administrators to
| | make the best choices under such a controlled environment.
| `----
|
| http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8045
|

| Related:
|
| Root-locked Linux for the masses
|
| .----
| | Eddie Bleasdale, open source evangelist and the man behind
| | NetProject [1], has a new plan. Secure, managed desktop computing:
| | Linux for the non-techies.
| |
| | At the heart of the Trusted Computing Project [2] is a £200 black
| | box, about the size of those funny little Mac boxes, running a
| | root-locked Ubuntu distribution. The user pays an annual fee of £50
| | for secure support from a proper Linux geek.
| `----
|
| http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/14/linux_box/
|

| Linux club helps firms hide from Microsoft
|
| .----
| | Local authorities and companies who are interested in ditching
| | their proprietary software in favour of open source are being
| | encouraged to join a confidential scheme that aims to protect them
| | from the attentions of firms such as Microsoft.
| |
| | The initiative, called The Incubator Club, is said to be a response
| | to the tactics employed by some major software vendors against
| | firms and organisations who consider using Linux.
| |
| | According to Eddie Bleasdale of Netproject, an IT consultancy firm
| | that runs The Incubator Club, Microsoft has repeatedly tried to
| | stop potential Linux migrations -- sometimes with notable success.
| |