[News] Trolltech Gets More Linux Members and Partners

Flander Mobile Testing to Complement Mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| World-leading mobile software testing company Flander and
| Trolltech, the company that makes software faster to build
| and easier to use, today announced a partnership to boost
| Linux in the mobile phone market.
`----

http://press.xtvworld.com/article16829.html

This is just one among a large list of new partners. This was announced last
week in the form of a press release on Trolltech's Web site.

Related:

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Cellphone giants unveil mobile Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Six of the world's largest telecommunications companies have
| officially launched a non-profit organization dedicated to
| creating a common mobile Linux software platform. Founded by
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications,
| Samsung Electronics, and Vodafone, the LiMo Foundation is
| inviting membership and participation from application
| and middleware developers.

ITU: Mobile Linux gaining momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| There has always been a lot of drive behind Linux on the mobile
| in Asia where there is a more experimental attitude towards
| handset platforms, but the word at ITU 2006 in Hong Kong this
| week is that interest in the rebel operating system is bleeding
| over into Europe and the US.
`----

http://www.telecoms.com/itmgcontent/tcoms/require-reg.html?prevurl=/tcoms/news/articles/20017390585.html&artid=20017390585&producttype=news&from=M@T-TopNews
http://tinyurl.com/yyp6sr

Motorola Begins Bringing Linux To Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola today announced two upgraded devices it hopes will bring
| Linux into the hands of mainstream users - even in the US.
`----

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2021

Motorola A910 Linux Phone Gets FCC Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| The phone runs a special Linux-Java operating system and
| boasts WiFi connectivity over UMA. The A910 is equipped
| with a 1.3 megapixel camera and Lumi-LED Flash technology.
`----

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/motorola_a910_linux_phone_gets_fcc_approval.html
http://tinyurl.com/y5whve

EDN highlights Linux's success in phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux powered about a quarter of all "feature phones" shipped in
| 2005, according to market analysts cited by Webb. Linux grew
| fastest in Asia, in phones from NEC, Panasonic, and Motorola,
| he notes. Meanwhile, mobile subscribers worldwide are expected
| to grow from 100 million to about 350 million, thanks largely to
| cellular rollouts in India, he says.

Mobile Devices Adopt Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't have to be completely immersed in the world of technology
| to know that we're in the middle of an open source revolution.
| Even people who don't know much about computers and technology
| can recognize that there's been a rising trend for people to
| customize existing products and openly share information that
| can benefit vast numbers of people and foster creativity. Instead
| of just using what's being given to us, we're starting to take
| control, and this has enhanced the markets and the communities.
|
| As time goes on, more and more people are desiring software that
| is open, and once they get a taste of what that's like, they then
| move on to desiring operating systems that are open, which has led
| to greater Linux adoption. Linux is an OS that is free and accessible
| to computer users, and if they choose to install and use it, then
| they can let their inner hacker roam free by customizing the OS to
| their liking on so many levels.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2420&Itemid=449

Open Source Goes Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| A constant theme at the conference was the burgeoning role of open
| source in mobile phones, particularly "smart phones" (those with
| extended functionality like music players, document viewers, etc.).
| What was interesting to me was that most of the discussion about opens
| ource (Linux, really) seemed to be focused on the flexibility and
| cost reduction opportunities it provided for equipment and servicep
| roviders. There was, interestingly, no mention of a desire to
| avoid dependency upon Microsoft's offering; to me this seemed
| strange because Microsoft has a habit of entering markets --
| even hardware markets -- when they're big enough, and causing
| real pain to their partners who depend upon Microsoft for their
| software platform: can you say Zune? As I said, this was not
| mentioned even once, which to my mind indicates a blind spot,
| as I could easily see Microsoft deciding to enter the smart
| phone market when it gets large enough.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/539

Linux makes Mot tops in PDA/smartphone growth

,----[ Quote ]