Re: [News] An 8-Day Vista Peril

On 2007-02-10, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Wayne's Old Computer Gets Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Opinion: Will a 2-year-old, but high-end, workstation run Microsoft's new
>| operating system?
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Jan. 31, 9 a.m.: I tried to investigate video cards again, and this time
>| the NVidia site worked, so I downloaded the list of cards that would work.
>| Then I called HP to find out which one I should use in my xw8000.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| (Feb. 8) 9 a.m.: IE7 still is speaking in Chinese. I check the language
>| settings. English is the only one selected.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Later that Day: Promises of help arrive from Microsoft and from
>| Symantec. Actual help, however, does not. At least NAV will
>| run for 72 more days, and it tells me I'm virus-free. Time to
>| set my Chinese speaking, virus-free, workstation aside and let
>| the news editor know that I'm alive and will be writing today.
>|
>| Will the Vista problems be solved? Probably not before next
>| week.
> `----

> Linux should only take minutes to install. It usually comes with all the
> necessary software and rarely requires hardware upgrades.
>
> A simple 'upgrade' of Windows sounds like a long journey judging by this
> story from a guy who pretty much knows what he's doing. This makes you
> woonder if Windows is an O/S for people who like to tinker and handle
> complexity.

Makes me wonder if Windows is an OS for people who like to tinker and
get nothing at all accomplished.

No, that's a lie. I *know* Windows is an OS for people who like to
tinker and get nothing at all accomplished.

No, that's a lie, too. Windows is *not* an OS. Windows is a means for
Billy and Blammer to steal money without going to jail for armed
robbery.

--
How dare the government intervene to stifle innovation in the computer
industry! That's Microsoft's job, dammit!