[News] An 8-Day Vista Peril

Wayne's Old Computer Gets Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion: Will a 2-year-old, but high-end, workstation run Microsoft's new
| operating system?
|
| [...]
|
| Jan. 31, 9 a.m.: I tried to investigate video cards again, and this time
| the NVidia site worked, so I downloaded the list of cards that would work.
| Then I called HP to find out which one I should use in my xw8000.
|
| [...]
|
| (Feb. 8) 9 a.m.: IE7 still is speaking in Chinese. I check the language
| settings. English is the only one selected.
|
| [...]
|
| Later that Day: Promises of help arrive from Microsoft and from
| Symantec. Actual help, however, does not. At least NAV will
| run for 72 more days, and it tells me I'm virus-free. Time to
| set my Chinese speaking, virus-free, workstation aside and let
| the news editor know that I'm alive and will be writing today.
|
| Will the Vista problems be solved? Probably not before next
| week.

Linux should only take minutes to install. It usually comes with all the
necessary software and rarely requires hardware upgrades.

A simple 'upgrade' of Windows sounds like a long journey judging by this
story from a guy who pretty much knows what he's doing. This makes you
woonder if Windows is an O/S for people who like to tinker and handle
complexity.