Re: BBC prepares on-demand TV over IP, but not for Linux ... yet.

  • Subject: Re: BBC prepares on-demand TV over IP, but not for Linux ... yet.
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:54:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 10 February 2007 07:58 \__
>
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> Multi-platform streaming protected content, eventually:
>>>
>>> .----
>>
>> RealPlayer is not so bad as it works on many platforms.

>> The above statement absolutely must be questioned, as it makes no sense
>> at all, although reads very much like it was written by a hollywood
>> lawyer, perhaps with someone from Microsoft sitting next to him.
>>
>> My suggestion would be that anything which cannot be made available to
>> everyone, shouldn't be broadcast in the first place.  The BBC's
>> programming goes out to the whole of Europe via satellite broadcasting,
>> terrestrial analogue and terrestrial digital broadcasting.  Anyone can
>> make a recording of these programmes anyway, to watch whenever they
>> want, indeed, recent activity to locate early programming has resulted
>> in the BBC very gratefully accepting recordings from private individuals
>> as they have lost their copies completely.
>>
>>> The only
>>> `----
>>>
>>>  - http://tinyurl.com/2fefk6 (BBC [PDF])
>>>

>> The issue is about DRM, and particularly, the Microsoft seem to have
>> managed to persuade the BBC that they need it, so the statement is made
>> as if it is self-evident, yet it is far from so.
>
> Here's what Alan Cox sez:
>
> Is the BBC Perpetuating the Microsoft Monopoly?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| According to Alan Cox, a well-known Linux kernel hacker, "Such a proposal
>| IMHO completely violates the expectations that the BBC does not use public
>| funds to distort markets, and there is no sign that the BBC trust who
>| should be overseeing this have done the relevant market distortion
>| analysis."
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/80699/index.html

I completely agree with him on this;  there is no excuse whatsoever for
the BBC to attempt to lock their broadcasts to an American company's
proprietary streaming or file format, such that only a limited number of
people can benefit from what they have *already paid for*, whilst
sending some of their money abroad for the privilege.

> That said, Alax Cox has holds a patent on DRM [1] *wink wink*, so he might
> have conflicting interests. He could sue the BillBC.
>
> __
> [1] Rights management system patented
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A rights management system monitors and controls use of a computer
>| program to prevent use that is not in compliance with acceptable
>| terms. The system monitors usage of the computer program for usage
>| and activities that are not in compliance with the license or
>| other use terms.
> `----
>
> http://www.freshpatents.com/Alan-Cox-Swansea-invdirc.php

It could serve to highlight the problem, for sure.