Re: BBC prepares on-demand TV over IP, but not for Linux ... yet.

  • Subject: Re: BBC prepares on-demand TV over IP, but not for Linux ... yet.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:58:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 10 February 2007 07:58 \__

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Multi-platform streaming protected content, eventually:
>>
>> .----
>>| The technology required to use this streaming service is expected to
>>| be a minimum of Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 or
>>| RealPlayer.
>
> RealPlayer is not so bad as it works on many platforms.
>

>>| In respect of the seven-day catch-up over the internet service, the
>>| files would require DRM to ensure that they were appropriately
>>| restricted in terms of time and geographic consumption.
>
> The above statement absolutely must be questioned, as it makes no sense
> at all, although reads very much like it was written by a hollywood
> lawyer, perhaps with someone from Microsoft sitting next to him.
>
> My suggestion would be that anything which cannot be made available to
> everyone, shouldn't be broadcast in the first place.  The BBC's
> programming goes out to the whole of Europe via satellite broadcasting,
> terrestrial analogue and terrestrial digital broadcasting.  Anyone can
> make a recording of these programmes anyway, to watch whenever they
> want, indeed, recent activity to locate early programming has resulted
> in the BBC very gratefully accepting recordings from private individuals
> as they have lost their copies completely.
>
>> The only
>>| system that currently provides this security is Windows Media 10 and
>>| above. Further, the only comprehensively deployed operating system
>>| that currently supports Windows Media Player 10 and above is the
>>| Windows XP operating system. As a result of these DRM requirements the
>>| proposed BBC iPlayer download manager element therefore requires
>>| Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP. This means the service would
>>| be unavailable to a minority of consumers who either do not use
>>| Microsoft or do not have an up-to-date Microsoft operating
>>| system. However, over time, technology improvements are likely to
>>| enable even more efficient methods of delivery. Further, it is our
>>| understanding the BBC Executive are working towards the iPlayer
>>|                                     ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^
>>| download manager being able to function on other operating systems.
>>| ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
>> `----
>>
>>  - http://tinyurl.com/2fefk6 (BBC [PDF])
>>

> The issue is about DRM, and particularly, the Microsoft seem to have
> managed to persuade the BBC that they need it, so the statement is made
> as if it is self-evident, yet it is far from so.

Here's what Alan Cox sez:

Is the BBC Perpetuating the Microsoft Monopoly?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Alan Cox, a well-known Linux kernel hacker, "Such a proposal
| IMHO completely violates the expectations that the BBC does not use public
| funds to distort markets, and there is no sign that the BBC trust who
| should be overseeing this have done the relevant market distortion
| analysis."

That said, Alax Cox has holds a patent on DRM [1] *wink wink*, so he might
have conflicting interests. He could sue the BillBC.

__
[1] Rights management system patented

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freshpatents.com/Alan-Cox-Swansea-invdirc.php

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie