Re: [News] Microsoft Struggles to Offer Reasons for 'Upgrade'

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 14:55 \__

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/02/microsoft_vista.html

> It's a well written article, and sums up much of the debate we've had on
> this subject here for some time.  It also, perhaps unsurprisingly, has
> the same kind of MS paid-for follow up sort of claiming that the desktop
> still matters, but equally unable to provide a convincing reason for why
> it does.
>
> It's all over for Windows.

I hunted this down for a previous followup, but I'll repeat this again:

Google's Bosworth: Why AJAX Failed (Then Succeeded)

,----[ Quote ]
| "Back in '96-'97, me and a group of people,many of whom are here at
| Google, helped build stuff that these days is called AJAX," We
| concluded, in the face of unyielding opposition and animosity from
| virtually every senior person at Microsoft, that the thick client
| was on its way out and it was going to be replaced by browser-based apps.

Microsoft defends the cash cows, whether they are the very edge of technology
or not. That's the danger of monopolies. Without competition, nobody will
ever take the step forward. R&D costs money, so why not just hoover the
money out of everyone with never-changing tehcnology? Enter Google et al.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie