Re: [News] Sun Microsystems to Boost ODF Further with Mew Plug-in

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 14:33 \__

http://news.com.com/Sun+to+release+ODF+translator+for+Microsoft+Office/2100-1012_3-6157189.html

> ODF has been in StarOffice for, must be at least a year going by those
> dates. I use it as the default, but unfortunately still have to convert
> whenever I have to share a doc. The sooner ODF is passed around more Linux
> apps and any of our stuff on MS platforms the better. Otherwise MS will win
> the XML battle due to our side not showing up.

Yes, but then again, free software that supports ODF could become the /de
facto/ standard under all platforms. That is of course not realistic over
short periods of time for adoption. Additionally, Windows users seem
reluctant to get new applications because it leads to Registry bloat. Just
ask someone like my sister. She does not want me to install Firefox or
OpenOffice on Windows PCs in the house. Its almost as though Windows was
made hostile to third-party applications, by deliberately poor design.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/4                         Fri Feb  9 08:54 - 08:55  (00:00)