[News] Piracy Crackdown in Russia - Internal Job or Microsoft Yet Another Proxy?

Microsoft snubs Gorbachev over piracy plea

,----[ Quote ]
| However Microsoft has said it did not bring the case against Ponosov,
| this was done by the public prosecutor's office in Russia.

Worth noting are the links and commentary below.

Microsoft uses proxies to take the role of the bully, which make the case
above questionable. See:

Microsoft cracks down on UK licences

,----[ Quote ]
| According to ComputerWorld, Vole has sent out a series of letters
| threatening legal action using its agents the Business
| Software Alliance (BSA).
|
| Ram Dhaliwal, Microsoft's licensing programs manager in the
| UK said the move was to "spark off the engagement" with its customers.

As an example of this take the following story:

European Commission denies favouring open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission's statement comes just days after it was lobbied to
| clarify its position on open source. The Initiative for Software
| Choice (ISC) wrote to the Commission immediately after the
| release of the report urging it to contact the "international
| press" to "set the record straight" over its stance. The ISC's
| external affairs are handled by CompTIA, which is funded by
| several IT vendors including Microsoft.
|                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30012007/152/european-commission-denies-favouring-open-source.html

This is not the first time Microsoft uses pressure groups (lobbying). Here
are some more examples:

EU official joins consultancy serving Microsoft

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-10-03T134311Z_01_L03693228_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MICROSOFT-OFFICIAL.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna
http://tinyurl.com/h47g3

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]
| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.

Lobbying critics target Brussels and Berlin

,----[ Quote ]
| A suspected manipulation of a consultation on the future patent system of
| the European Union led to the EU Commission being nominated for
| the less-than-prestigious award -- which the Commission promptly
| went on to win in the category "Worst Privileged Access."
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82556/from/rss09

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]
| leaked letter to the European Commission has revealed the extent of
| lobbying by proprietary software groups to prevent the widespread
| adoption of open-source software.
|
| Sent in response to a recent report on the role of open-source
| software in the European economy, Microsoft-funded pressure
| group, the Initiative for Software Choice (ISC) warned of
| potentially dire effects if too much encouragement was given
| to open source software development.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
disagrees with "flawed" conclusions

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, commissioned by the European Commission, Directorate
| General Enterprise and Industry, is but a small part of the larger
| FLOSSPOLS project that aims to keep the EU a leader in global
| development of open source software.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, the ISC is widely regarded as a shill for Microsoft, although
| the member list also includes companies like Intel, Autodesk, and
| RSA Security (now an EMC subsidiary). The 300-strong member list is
| mostly padded with lesser lights such as Yapi ve Kredi Bankasi(
| Turkey), ThreeSixtyDegreez (Pakistan), and Datoprogrammu Apgads
| (Latvia). The institute pushes hard for the right to patent
| software, alongside regular bashings of open source businesses.

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

EU's Kroes denies vendetta against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| BRUSSELS (Reuters) - EU antitrust chief Neelie Kroes on Tuesday rejected
| an accusation she was pursuing a vendetta against U.S. software giant
| Microsoft Corp. and suspected a "coordinated campaign" to discredit
| her agency.
|
| [...]
|
|  Kroes was responding to a letter published by the newspaper from a
| Microsoft business partner who accused the EU Commission of "playing
| games" with Microsoft by raising concerns over its Vista operating
| system that could delay its launch in Europe.
|
| "There appears to be a coordinated campaign to portray the Commission
| in a negative light," she said...
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060919/microsoft_eu.html?.v=3

Microsoft Hard-Balling EU Over Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is part of the negotiating strategy," a person familiar with the
| situation told internetnews.com. "They're in a public relations battle."
|
| Microsoft made the same threat to South Korean regulators, but did not
| follow through when they lost that battle.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3631041

Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
| first year of shipment.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

Canada's Music Lobby Buys Government Access

,----[ Quote ]
| "Copyfighting law professor Michael Geist, who previously uncovered
| financial links between recording industry lobbyists and Canada's
| Minister of Canadian Heritage Bev Oda (who is responsible for
| copyright policy), has now identified what big cash donations
| will get you. He reports that Oda met with the President of the
| Canadian Recording Industry Association on a monthly basis last
| year just as the government was preparing copyright reform
| legislation and Canadian artists were calling for an end to
| P2P lawsuits. Is it any wonder that Canadians seem likely to
| lose their fair use rights?"
`----

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/25/1556204&from=rss

Microsoft is lobbying in the Philippines:

FOSS Bill Listed For First Public Hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Listed for November 15th, the hearing by The Committee on Information and
| Communications Technology has invited comment from various stakeholders
| potentially affected by the bill, including community representatives as
| well as industry giants Microsoft and Oracle.
`----                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.localfoss.org/Philippino_FOSS_Bill_Public_Hearing

Report: The Business of Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| In his Nov. 21 column, Conrado Banal said I did not really author the
| bill "Free/Open Source Act of 2006" now pending in Congress. And
| quoting the Business Software Alliance (BSA), he also derided the
|             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| bill as a "prime model of confusion."
|
| Let me assure him that I authored the bill. My office worked on it for
| four months. It started with a suggestion from FOSS (free/open
| source software) advocates in the Computer Professionals Union
| (CPU). Modeled after the Brazil and Peru FOSS policies, it is the
| result of inputs from various geeks, techies and FOSS
| practitioners--from my two staff who happen to be competent IT
| professionals, IT lawyers in the UP College of Law, members of
| the Philippine Linux Users Group (PLUG), GNU/Linux guru and
| prime advocate Richard Stallman of the MIT-based Free Software
| Foundation, who personally e-mailed his very valuable comments.
| It also contains inputs from the government?s Commission on
| Information and Communications Technology and the International
| Open Source Network of the UNDP.
`----

http://business.inq7.net/money/topstories/view_article.php?article_id=36605

This came after the government pursued Linux and Open Source.

RP Open Source confab: It's time to make the rules

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of breaking the rules in the computing world, it?s now time for
| open source to make the rules.
|
| [...]
|
| Right now, there's tremendous opportunity for Filipinos with open
| source skills since 67 percent of servers used in the Internet is based
| on open source technology.
|
| "But we'd also like to emphasize that we?re not against any
| software company," Contreras said. "What we?re saying is that with
| open source, companies now have an option to choose."
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO2006092575370.html

The Open Source Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| "This act shall be known as the "Free/Open Source Software (FOSS)
| Act of 2006"
`----

http://www.chinwong.com/Documents/FOSS_bill_draft_.pdf

More schools take to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the first two phases of the program that used the proprietary
| Windows operating system and Microsoft Office, the computers in phase 3
| will be bundled with free and open source Fedora Linux and OpenOffice.
|
| "This is the most important milestone," he said, noting that the project
| went to Lenovo in a public bidding in part because its software costs were
| so low.
|
| Free and open source software is also increasingly finding its way into
| state-owned universities and colleges, Lallana said.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=interactive01_sept04_2006

Years of deadlock on EU patent bring some new thinking

,----[ Quote ]
| When Bill Gates visits Brussels on Thursday to speak with
| government officials, software developers and customers, he
| plans to wade into one of Europe's longest-running, most
| fruitless debates: the pursuit of a unified patent system.
| Gates, chairman of Microsoft, wants a simple system that will
| allow the world's largest software maker and other companies
| to protect their intellectual property in the European Union -
| and profit from licensing their patents.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/08/business/patents.php

Regardless, back to Gorbachev:

Hackers attack Gorbachev's Web site

,----[ Quote ]
| The perpetrators posted photographs of the suppressed rally on the
| Web site and published an open letter to the former leader, blaming
| him for the deaths of more 130 people -- a tragedy known in Azerbaijan
| as the Black January.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_hi_te/russia_gorbachev

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.mikhailgorbachev.org
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.gorby.ru

Runs Windows.

As for Russia's need for Linux:

Linux and Windows in Russian schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I just noticed this blog entry (in Russian) from an advanced Linux
| user, where he offers free help to every teacher (or their boss)
| who'd like to start teaching Linux, and gives a few links to
| other such projects, such as "The winter Linux school for teachers"
| (in Russian) organized by ALTLinux together with a few other
| institutions. A few other projects do exist. Hopefully, such
| projects, together with the "antipiracy" campaign will lead to
| more Linux and open source in Russian schools.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070130-080943.html

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
| solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
| companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
| are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html

Gates: Russia Tackling Software Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. chairman and co-founder Bill Gates said Tuesday
| that Russia has made progress tackling software piracy, a problem
| that has threatened the country's bid to join the World Trade
| Organization.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061107/russia_bill_gates.html?.v=2

But Microsoft turns a blind eye while it suits the agenda.

Romania: Software piracy made us what we are today

,----[ Quote ]
| Experts have called for stronger action from Romanian officials on
| software piracy, with prosecutors encouraged to stop dismissing
| potential cases. The International Intellectual Property Alliance
| in 2006 said dismissals are acting as a disincentive on police to
| clamp down on criminals, who are mostly end-users and distributors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/romania_microsoft_piracy/

A different story in the States though.

California man busted for software piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| A Southern California man was arrested for allegedly producing
| and selling thousands of dollars worth of pirated software
| from Microsoft and Adobe, according to the Riverside County
| Sheriff's department.
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/02/01/counterfeit_arrest/

China isn't tyoo happy either.

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

It all comes down to this:

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Beware: Half of Pirated Vista Is Malware

,----[ Quote ]
| About half of all downloads that claim to be free versions of
| Microsoft's Vista operating system are actually malicious
| Trojan horse software, security vendor DriveSentry warned today.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003622.html

Why piracy kills Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Because for them, the price is the same.
|
| So, please, Microsoft, defend your own products, and don't allow users to
| use pirated versions. You'll be doing the best for the Open Source
| products.
`----

http://youmaybeinterrupting.com/desktop.php?view&postid=12&a=apps%2FBlog%3B%3B

Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

,----[ Quote ]