Re: Where are all the Vista exploits?

  • Subject: Re: Where are all the Vista exploits?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:15:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 04 February 2007 21:36 \__

> On Sunday 04 February 2007 20:35 Dr. GroundAxe  wrote:
>
>> COLA loons told us Vista would be cracked wide open a few days after
>> release. Nothing yet.
>
> So now you are telling us that Vista secure?
>
> In that case, what about the age-old myth that "Windows has so many
> problems only because it's a big target"?
>
> What are you telling us?
>
> Are you telling us that we were lied to, and that previous incarnations of
> Windows were actually Insecure By Design?
>
> - or are you telling us that we were told the truth, and that if Vista has
> the same take-up as XP etc., it too will be just as insecure as they were?

Scary /deja vu/.

Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
| you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
| Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
| this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
| XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
| yet again.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2357&Itemid=449

Prior to release:

eEye Research

| A flaw exists within Windows Vista that allows local privilege
| escalation to SYSTEM.
|
| Operating Systems Affected:
| Microsoft Windows Vista
`----

http://research.eeye.com/html/advisories/upcoming/20070119a.html

You know, I'm working at home at the moment and hte network is painfully
slow. It must be the Window zombies. I foresee many more mass-diconnections
with large fines and suspesion. It's Monday tomorrow. The network will be
monitored again.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Just before I left the office half an hour ago I saw a BSoD on a colleague's
idle machine. He wasn't there at all, so this was spontaneous. A chance of 1
in 4 that he's pwned. Happened to him many times before and there's little
one can do...

How Long Does It Take To Catch A Computer Virus?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002712&subSection=All+Stories

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
 10:05pm  up 12 days 22:23,  8 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.28, 0.51