Re: [News] Previously-Missed Security Problems in Windows Vista

__/ [ Rafael ] on Saturday 03 February 2007 22:29 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002881&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

> I read the article.  That particular statement you quoted does sound
> disturbing.  It sounds more like they are blaming the tester (did he
> violate their EULA in benchmarking?).

Vista licensing also limits benchmarking

,----[ Quote ]
| License transfers aren't the only thing the End User License Agreement
| (EULA) for Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista OS limits. The license
| also puts restrictions on how benchmarks of certain components of
| the OS can be published, another issue that is raising eyebrows as
| Microsoft still has not clarified how changes will specifically
| affect users.
|
| According to the Vista EULA, because the OS contains "one or more
| components" of the .Net Framework 3.0, users can conduct internal
| benchmarking of those components, but can't disclose the results
| of those benchmarks -- or measurements to compare rival products
| -- unless they comply with conditions found at a Microsoft Web
| site.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061101vistalicense/index.html

Regardless of the legality of benchmarks *cough cough*, previous studies
showed similar results.

Security Suite Smackdown, Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| Eight of the biggest names in security go head to head in
| this round up of the best (and worst) of the apps that
| aim to keep you safe.

Microsoft's Live OneCare is 7th of out 8 products

Study: Symantec Best at Removing Rootkits (Microsoft Worst)

,----[ Quote ]
| The application that performed the poorest, according to
| Thompson, was Microsoft's Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2),
| which is being built into the Windows Vista operating system.

Anti-Spyware Rival Slams Microsoft's Windows Defender, Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft security rival on Thursday blasted the anti-spyware
| technology that the Redmond, Wash., developer will include with
| Windows Vista as "ineffective," "slow," and "weak."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=HY2G5P14RSBKUQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=197000593

Bear in mind also, that OneCare hasn't a 64-bit version (yet?). This means
that as well as lack of software and hardware (driver) support for 64-bit
Vista, there's virtually no security.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
Swap:  1036184k total,   546584k used,   489600k free,    34024k cached