Re: [News] Microsoft 'Hijacks' Linux Conference

> "Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007; MS
> | however, just wanted to say "let us walk hand-in-hand"
> `----
>
> http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

Good God! Apparently Microsoft *sponsored* this "Linux" event.

Now *that's* not at *all* suspicious, is it?

Hows *this* for FUD:

"As far as making the source code available, we at MS strongly feel
that there is a need to protect intellectual property (IP) as it is
the economic incentive to create better solutions. However, we do not
refute the other school of thought, which is why we have created
platforms like Codeplex. Microsoft is a part of all standard bodies,
and we actively participate in creating open standards for our
customers."

Here's a FUD to English translation:

"Locking down software with closed-sources and DRM is a better
solution than openness, because we can squeeze more money from our
customers by creating a monopoly. We accept that the Open Sources and
Open Standards model exists, but we deeply resent it, therefore we
have infiltrated standards bodies to try to sabotage that development
model."

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 17:06:20 up 77 days,  9:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00