Re: [News] CNN Poll: 97% Will Not Immediately Buy Vista (and More Bugs Revealed)

  • Subject: Re: [News] CNN Poll: 97% Will Not Immediately Buy Vista (and More Bugs Revealed)
  • From: Tim Fairchild <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:52:52 +1000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
I was able to see The Ghost In The Machine say:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Fairchild
> <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:34:49 +1000
> <45c3d888$0$22127$c3e8da3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
>> I was able to see thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx say:

>>> Older hardware will always be a fertile ground for Linux, whether it is
>>> XP or Vista it is replacing.  If Vista really is a bigger pig than XP, I
>>> suppose it could help the move along, but supposedly the performance is
>>> comparable to XP when you turn aero off.  Of course I consider XP enough
>>> of a pig all on its own... ever take a look at the performance monitor
>>> on the typical idle XP machine?  Youch!  Of course Linux can be just
>>> as piggish if you install all the bells and wistles, but it is certainly
>>> a lot easier to keep it lean and mean.
>>
>> Yeah, sure, I run Mandriva with shadows and transparency and backgrounds
>> and textures and file previews and all the rest, and I run 10+ apps at a
>> time inc OOo, kontact, firefox (with many tabs), bluefish, gimp, konq
>> with many tans, konsole with many tabs, skype, amarok, ffmpeg, kick up
>> totem now and then, plus smaller apps and maybe a win app. Editing many
>> pix for the web page.
>>
>> With all that its nice to have the gig of ram, but not really using any
>> swap at the moment even with all that going. It also ran fine with the
>> same apps and 512 meg ram, but the gig stops the swapping now and then
>> and speeds things up a bit.
>>
>> But with Vista the talk is 2 gig to get good performance already, and no
>> claims as to what the machine is actually running at the time.
>>
>> Well that's fine, but I think linux is using the resources of my current
>> machine better than vista - or XP for that matter thanks. And XP would
>> flake out with the number of apps anyway, and the clutter would drive me
>> up the wall. I've never had any luck with windows with more than 4
>> virtual desktops... I find 12 a nice number on linux.
>>

> There is also the organizational aspect.  In Gnome,
> I can put things into a number of workspaces.  KDE has 4
> but presumably one can configure more at need as well.
> This comes built into either Gnome or KDE.

I run with 10-12. I get too cluttered with the default 4 :)

> I flip into XP on this box on the rare occasion I need
> to, and am struck with the reality that I have Exactly
> One Workspace(tm).  While I suppose I could look around
> for something that runs on XP that mimicks what I already
> have in Gnome or KDE, I've yet to bother, but do wonder.

The nvidia nview tools help a lot. Their not as good as KDE or gnome, but it
works. But more than 3 or 4 gets glitchy... Well, even with 3 it can fall
to pieces. One of my daughters had to go to windows for a school project,
and she is struggling with the workspace issue. She has 3 workspaces and a
number of apps running, and it keeps cracking up on her...

> Vista appears to have multiple workspace support but my
> enthusiasm for Vista is about as much as my enthusiasm
> for moldy gym socks.  (Not that my enthusiasm for XP is
> that much greater than aforementioned footware.)

Not likely to go buy vista for a few hour school project, that's for sure :)

> As for transparency -- I can't say I've found it useful.
> However, I'm not that heavy a graphics user.  Done well,
> one could do some interesting things -- e.g., making
> a window semitransparent while moving it might be useful
> as a visual aid.

Yep, I just like the semi transparency when moving windows, but even that is
neither here no there. I'm just as happy moving a frame like in the old
fvwm days. I don't know if KDE still has that feature... I'll have to look.

Otherwise I use full opacity for windows, foreground and background. I like
to be able to see them :)

--
Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64