Re: [News] CNN Poll: 97% Will Not Immediately Buy Vista (and More Bugs Revealed)

  • Subject: Re: [News] CNN Poll: 97% Will Not Immediately Buy Vista (and More Bugs Revealed)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:27:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 02 February 2007 17:39 \__

>> Poll: Will you rush out to buy Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating
>> system?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> |   Yes
>> |
>> |   3%
>> |
>> | 1779 votes
>> |

>> |   No
>> |
>> |   97%
>> |
>> | 52651 votes
>> `----
>
> Of course ultimately none of that really matters.  Most people end
> up with a new operating system because it comes with their new hardware.
> Some people will run out and buy it because they want to.  Some will
> need to reinstall their OS and can't find their original media... they
> will run out and buy whatever version of Windows is on the shelves.
> Eventually, corporate purchasers will go to Vista as Microsoft ends
> support on older versions of Windows.

Let's not forget that what's on the shelf will change over the years. One
company chose a fleet of 20,000 Linux desktop just days ago. Slow Vidta
adoption permits shelves to evolve before the next purchase. The Iowa trial
already exposes things like threats and maybe kickbacks, so OEMs won't be
legally obliged to obey Microsoft.

> Personally, I don't think the adoption rate of Vista will really have
> much impact on Linux uptake.  Linux users usually adopt Linux for what
> it can do... not for what Windows can or cannot do.  In the cases where
> they move to Linux as a rejection of Windows, it is probably a rejection
> of Windows in general, not just a specific version.  Oh I'm sure there
> will be some people faced with an expensive upgrade to Vista that will
> decide to instead finally jump to Linux, but that is not where I see
> real growth.  There is a whole new generation of Linux savvy techies
> working with Linux in enterprise server, embedded, point-of-sale, and
> thin client environments.  Desktop Linux is growing organically out of
> those areas.  Until Microsoft releases a completely open source,
> standards compliant, free operating system with as much flexibility as
> Linux... any software they release will be mostly irrelevant to Linux
> growth.

What about the old PCs? They are not Vista-capable and not secure enough to
go on the Web (esp. future Web)?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
  7:20pm  up 10 days 19:38,  8 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.19, 0.21