Re: Please recommend Linux hardware and software

__/ [ debrathayer@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 01 February 2007 17:37 \__

> Hi,
>
> The prices on the latest Windows and Office upgrades have pushed me
> over the edge.
> Please recommend the best flavors and versions of Linux and hardware,
> preferably laptops for Linux.  I don't want a dual boot machine; just
> Linux.  Also any other suggestions for  Linux applications  would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Debra

Hi Debra,

I advise you to get a computer with Linux preinstalled. This ensures that you
will not need to worry about compatibility and there will also be support
for your operating system. Here is a database of companies that stock PCs
with Linux preinstalled (or machines that are Linux-ready, i.e. they should
work perfectly well with any Linux distribution):

http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

The distribution that suits you best is something that depends on your needs
and background in computing. Do bear in mind that there is a very friendly
community for Ubuntu GNU/Linux and it is likely that you can install it on
your existing PC without any trouble. You can order the installation CD for
free.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

>From there onwards you will be able to cope or migrate to other distributions
that you like better. Since the distribution share the same base, many of
the changes are subtle and cosmethic. You can have something that tailored
to you 'out of the box', however, if you choose something which is ideal for
/you/.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux   ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S