[News] Windows Vista Integration with Online Payments

Chase Paymentech integrates with Windows Vista for payment processing

,----[ Quote ]
| Payments processor Chase Paymentech has announced that it will provide
| credit card payment processing to small businesses via the new Windows
| Vista Business operating system.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=777C02E9-DE94-4BEC-906B-E2215E18C9D8

Why not specify open protocols rather than just integrate? It sounds like
another subtle-yet-deliberate way of locking rivals out (see links at the
bottom), pained as innovation and 'extension'.

Related:

Webster Bank Chooses Centrify to Streamline Audits and Centralize
Administration of UNIX and Linux Access Control

,----[ Quote ]
| Webster Bank is deploying Centrify DirectControl on over 150 UNIX and
| Linux servers that are used to support employees and customers at 160
| Branches and over 308 ATMs in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and
| Rhode Island. With total assets of $18.0 billion and 3600 employees,
| Webster Bank is the 42nd largest bank in the US.
`----

http://www.tickertech.com/cgi/?a=news&ticker=a&w=&story=200610200610101100PR_NEWS_USPR_____SFTU101

Microsoft To Set Up Online Payment System

,----[ Quote ]
| Another potential competitor for PayPal. Nevermind that Microsoft
| has failed in the past to introduce a popular online payment system
| (remember Microsoft Wallet and Microsoft Passport). Nonetheless,
| it's not very welcome news for eBay coming so close to Google's
| full-effort attempt at rolling out Google Checkout.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070130/25525_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft takes it to the bank

,----[ Quote ]
| Is the world ready for Microsoft Banking? Banks are traditionally
| very conservative with their software and hardware choices, and
| most still rely on expensive mainframes with multiple levels of
| failure protection. However, banks are also making a huge push
| to expand into other services, such as investment planning, and
| all these new services require new software. If they are
| successful, Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the, er, bank.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/11/14/5956

Swedish bank hit by 'biggest ever' online heist

,----[ Quote ]
| Haxdoor typically installs keyloggers to record keystrokes, and
| hides itself using a rootkit. The payload of the .ki variant of
| the Trojan was activated when users attempted to log in to the
| Nordea online banking site. According to the bank, users were
| redirected to a false home page, where they entered important
| log-in information, including log-in numbers.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39285547,00.htm

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and the British Library have digitised two of Leonardo da
| Vincis' notebooks.
|
| [...]
|
| The British Library has created an updated version of its application
| called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
| its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
| this works better using Vista.
`----  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

Probably works /only/ in Vista, according to another source.

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft was preventing access to Vista's programming interfaces
| and hindering the development of compatible products, thus repeating
| anti-competitive violations the commission had identified three
| years ago in a previous operating system.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8-21F6EEE223E3%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa-testimony.html