Re: [News] Microsoft - 700, SourceForge - 141,625

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:01:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft tries to be friendly to the open source community
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When the company launched its code-sharing forum called CodePlex
>| in May of 2006, the Web site only had 12 posted projects. Today,
>| nine months later, there are more than 700 current projects on the
>| site to allowing programmers and developers to contribute and
>| freely share code in the IT community.
> `----
>
> http://www.itdirection.net/it-news-0006/021907-00099-it-news.shtml
>
> Even the brand-new Google hosting beats them.
>
> Yesterday I read a .NET blogger who whined about the lack of Open Source code
> in the Microsoft world. Everything is PHP and MySQL, he argued. This attempt
> to catch up is a case of too little, too late. And needless to say, Open
> source with Microsoft technology is self contradictory.

Oh, give me a break.  There are dozens of sites with open source .NET
projects.  A good example is the gotdotnet.com site:  That mans nearly 2
out 3 projects on source forge aren't actually open source, since they
don't have any source (or binary) files available.

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/directory.aspx

8925 projects.

http://www.codeproject.com

14,989 visual studio and .NET articles (most with code)

http://www.asp.net/default.aspx?tabindex=6&tabid=49

a ton of different sites, many of which also have code available.

Don't kid yourself.  .NET is well established.

By the way, I'm not sure where you got the 141,625 figure.  I did an
only came back with 118,051.  However, if you exclude projects that don't
have any files, that number drops to 64,144.

So that's right, nearly 1 in 2 projects isn't actually open source, since
there is no code available.