Re: [News] BBC May be Shutting Out 25% of Audience for Microsoft

spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> Oh, dear. Now they /think/ alike.
>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6369055.stm
>
>>        BBC urged to resist website ads
>
>> "Overseas users would see adverts when they visited BBC websites
>> A group representing UK media companies has called on the BBC Trust not to
>> allow adverts to be published on its international websites."
>
>> What on earth is happening to the BBC? I'm just glad that I gave away my TV a
>> long time ago, so I no longer need to pay TV licence.
>
> They're trying to find new funding streams.
> The government keeps refusing their requests for TV license boosts and
> they're constantly under threat from having the license revoked.
>
> Besides, why shouldn't they insert adverts into their websites when accessed
> from abroad?
> They don't pay the license fee, so make them pay with irritating adverts
> instead... That'll learn 'em.
>:)

I suppose you could have a paying site where non-residents could get the
streams and so on without adverts, or a standard site where residents
and those who have paid (actually, they'd both have paid!) can get the
material free of advertising.