Re: [News] Luring Users to a Portal Using Freebies

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Guy Fawkes
<spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:02:54 +0100
<45d4bdec$0$16385$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> "Win a Zune" If your homepage is msn.com
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | How badly does Microsoft want to promote the Zune? My fellow
>> | tippsters at Neowin.net found that Microsoft has decided that
>> | every user who sets MSN as their home page will be entered to
>> | win one of 50 Zunes.
>> `----
>
> What the hell is Zune anyway? And who cares?!! No one.

It's a small portable audio-carrying device, boiled down
to the essentials.  It might have video (I'd have to look).
It certainly has DRM and some strange quirks.

And I can't say I care all that much. ;-)

> I'm almost perpetually amazed at the suckers that tow the Microsoft line.
> Toshiba got suckered into producing Zunes (whatever they are) and they will
> bear the brunt of the pain if it fails (which it almost surely will). But
> Microsoft itself NEVER gets burned since it doesn't produce the devices.
> Other people get burned for its failures.
>
> Same thing happened with Pen Tablet PC's. Some companies got seriously
> burned but Microsoft got away unscathed. I wonder when people will wake up
> and smell the coffee and not start producing everything it tells them. If
> they want to peddle Zunes, let them make the damned things THEMSELVES.

Define "themselves".  This is where it gets a bit
complicated.  I frankly don't know how much innate
manufacturing capability Microsoft has.  Of course,
if they acquire a company, they might be able to
leverage that.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false;  return h;}