Re: [News] Luring Users to a Portal Using Freebies

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Thursday 15 February 2007 21:02 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> "Win a Zune" If your homepage is msn.com
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | How badly does Microsoft want to promote the Zune? My fellow
>> | tippsters at Neowin.net found that Microsoft has decided that
>> | every user who sets MSN as their home page will be entered to
>> | win one of 50 Zunes.
>> `----
>
> What the hell is Zune anyway?

The music player that controls 22% of 1 per cent of the market.

Microsoft Zune an online music minnow

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17219

> And who cares?!! No one.

Those who are responsible for the fiasco.

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

> I'm almost perpetually amazed at the suckers that tow the Microsoft line.
> Toshiba got suckered into producing Zunes (whatever they are) and they will
> bear the brunt of the pain if it fails (which it almost surely will). But
> Microsoft itself NEVER gets burned since it doesn't produce the devices.
> Other people get burned for its failures.

Samsung and the Origami come to mind.

Microsoft Kills Origami, Presents Vistagami

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the pioneer behind the Ultra Mobile PC movement
| (Origami), is more or less killing the original concept and
| coming up with a more upbeat version.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Special_Reports/Microsoft_Kills_Origami%2C_Presents_Vistagami_200701302798/
http://tinyurl.com/2nhttc

Think of battery life, which was one of the pitfalls of the original. Then
think of all the software bugs.

Later came this.

Original 'Origami' team moves to a new secret project

,----[ Quote ]
| This "secret project" could be nothing more than a lot of hype --
| as was the "Origami Project" (which morphed into the
| less-than-well-received Ultramobile PCs).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=234

Here's the explanation.

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

> Same thing happened with Pen Tablet PC's. Some companies got seriously
> burned but Microsoft got away unscathed. I wonder when people will wake up
> and smell the coffee and not start producing everything it tells them. If
> they want to peddle Zunes, let them make the damned things THEMSELVES.

Many companies appear to have realised that they needn't pay royalties for
software. They can put together embedded devices, get a Linux-based
operating system off the shelf and then present a product that's robust,
affordable, and customisable (e.g. for performance on low-end hardware).
Many companies have recently shown their commitment to Linux and various
groups of collaboration were formed (I can think of at least 3 or 4).

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  6:00pm  up 24 days 18:18,  6 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.38, 0.36