Re: Vista Alternative

__/ [ Freddie Lowndes ] on Monday 12 February 2007 12:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Freddie Lowndes ] on Monday 12 February 2007 10:21 \__

>>> Beryl and Aero both run very well on a $45 Nvidia 7300LE or ATI
>>> Radeon X300SE.
>>>

>>> http://snipurl.com/19xe0
>>>
>>> Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE video. 1GB RAM.
>>>
>>> $430 after rebate with Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> I'd but two Linux PCs for that price, with specs on par with what I'm
>> using at the moment. Madness. Overpricing becomes possible when one
>> is required to get the latest and greatest and price do not increase
>> linearely as function of novelty.
>

> Sweet !
>
> Where can I buy two new Linux PCs for $430 ?

eSys sold them in the UK for about 165 pounds. That was a year and a half
ago. Since then, the price dropped to 127 pounds (some time last year,
reported in a local LUG's mailing list). I imagine that the price has gone
down further, or the specs gone higher. 256 MB of RAM, 2.1 GHz processor
back in August 2005. Monitor not included, but old CRTs are changing hands
for free these days. I got my 19-inch display for 20 pound which I insisted
on paying although the seller ("giver" rather) just wanted to make some room
in his house.

--
                ~~ Happy birthday, Mr. Lincoln

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.