Re: [News] Sun Microsystems Becomes More Like Linux to Survive

__/ [ Maverick ] on Monday 26 February 2007 18:08 \__

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b504500217%3bfp%3b16%3bfpid%3b0

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6157761.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

>> Sun to release OpenSolaris under GPL version 3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Sun is going to add the upcoming GNU General Public License version
>> | 3 (GPLv3) to OpenSolaris in addition to its current CDDL (Common
>> | Development and Distribution License).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8979755794.html
>>

>> Will GPLv3 energize Free Software, or marginalize the FSF?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As written, GPLv3 threatens to fork GNU projects and marginalize
>> | the Free Software Foundation, writes Linux observer Bill Weinberg
>> | in this well-written essay. Drawing on long experience
>> | evangelizing open source licensing to business users, Weinberg
>> | suggests that the FSF's GPLv3 high road could be a lonesome one.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2003051251.html
>>

>> Will Sun Use GPLv3?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | First of all, Sun has been engaged directly in the GPL v3 process
>> | since it started. My colleagues and I attended the launch conference
>> | in Cambridge, MA at the start of 2006 - I even logged the
>> | conversation with my friend and collaborator Danese Cooper of Intel.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/about_gplv3
>
> I also noticed that SGI is has included Linux in their lineup.
> After viewing their site over time, it appears that IRIX hasn't been
> updated in over a year.

They have given up on IRIX/MIPS last year, IIRC. They only do Linux now, but
don't take my word for it. They also managed to escape bankruptcy. Somehow.
Unisys is another example.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie