[News] Sun Microsystems Becomes More Like Linux to Survive

At 25, Sun struggles to reinvent itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Had Sun stuck to its roots, it might still enjoy the dominant share
| of the Unix market today. Instead it succumbed to its own early
| tactics. A new OS appeared -- Linux -- built from scratch but based
| on open standards. It could only do a portion of what Solaris
| could do, but it cost nothing and ran on commodity x86 hardware.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b504500217%3bfp%3b16%3bfpid%3b0

One might wonder if, having eliminated SCO, Linux will get Microsoft before
it gets Sun. Sun is at least willing to evolve in order to compete.
Microsoft loses market share (or grows more slowly than Linux) while Sun has
apparently gained.

Related:

Sun's servers resurgent in 2006 - Gartner

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems used 2006 as a throwback session by pushing
| its sales way higher while rivals were happy to exit the year
| with any kind of growth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/22/gartner_2006_sales/

Sun likes what it sees in the new GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| And regarding Java, Schwartz said in an interview: "We did version 2
| with Java because version 3 wasn't out. When we have version 3, Java
| will likely go to 3."
|
| Sun is considering the GPLv3 because it wants to appeal to developers
| who favor the GPL. Another factor is a patent protection expected to
| feature in the new version of the license, Schwartz added.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6157761.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Sun to release OpenSolaris under GPL version 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is going to add the upcoming GNU General Public License version
| 3 (GPLv3) to OpenSolaris in addition to its current CDDL (Common
| Development and Distribution License).

Will GPLv3 energize Free Software, or marginalize the FSF?

,----[ Quote ]
| As written, GPLv3 threatens to fork GNU projects and marginalize
| the Free Software Foundation, writes Linux observer Bill Weinberg
| in this well-written essay. Drawing on long experience
| evangelizing open source licensing to business users, Weinberg
| suggests that the FSF's GPLv3 high road could be a lonesome one.

Will Sun Use GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/about_gplv3