Re: [News] Dell Will Preinstall Linux

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 26 February 2007 07:06 \__

> [H]omer wrote:
>

>> In fairness to Dell, they did *ask* (unilaterally) their customers, what
>> they wanted.
>
> They wanted Linux.
>

>> And we still haven't won unless we can buy a Dell without the Windows
>> Tax, which is still not  guaranteed, even on an OS-free or Linux
>> machine.
>
> Tax...smax.   Get Linux to the people...the tax will go away...eventually.

Hopefully not through the inclusion of "craplets" (Microsoft speak) ported to
GNU/Linux.

>> I'd consider this a "win", once pre-installed Linux Dell machines are
>> both cheaper than the same hardware with Windows, and offered in exactly
>> the same configurations as Windows systems.
>
> I think the opposite.  People have no problem paying for a more expensive
> machine...as long as it delivers a superior experience.
>
> Vista failed in that regard.
>
> Suse delivers in that regard.
>
> Go Dell!

They should keep offering choice. They seem to be going with GNOME-centric
distributions, so the uniformity will assist support.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  8:20am  up 34 days  8:38,  7 users,  load average: 1.14, 0.68, 0.55