Re: Bexley (Ohio) schools go Linux?

__/ [ Linuxiac <"at yahoo.com "> ] on Monday 26 February 2007 06:22 \__

http://www.thisweeknews.com/?sec=home&story=sites/thisweeknews/022207/Bexley/News/022207-News-310108.html

> They need to grab the FREE  http://richtech.ca/openadmin/
> school administration program.
>
> Also, need to run either the FREE http://Ubuntu.org that could be mailed
> to every teacher or administration who ordered for free, or grab a
> http://pclinuxos.com and have the students burn multiple CDroms.
>
> The lack of familiarity with GNU/Linux by everyone mentioned in the
> article was high-lighted in the mention that they wanted to find a
> typing program!  Tux Typing still works for my kids!

LyX is simple and children-friendly as well. While it's different from
typical programs (e.g. AbiWord, OOo), without user intervention it handles
the layout, embeds semantics, and opens the door to typesetting skills.

It's quite a sin when children are taught how to memorise menu items when all
they really need is a description of what they type (e.g. title) and that's
just a single drop-down box. And along the same lines, some children are
asked to memorise phrases and poems rather than be equipped with actually
methods, e.g. mnemonics.

I have seen people who were taught ASP.Net at school. Learning packages is
worthless when the very same people haven't a clue what a packet is and
what's involved in packet delivery. These are the people who will only
reboot or reinstall every time a problem is encountered, but never get to
the bottom of things, let alone implement something with sufficient
awareness in mind.

Vendor and application-dependent education isn't the way to go because people
forget things, but skills are rooted at a deeper level. Think about someone
who can dribble well even 10 years after not playing basketball. Only the
rules of the game escape one's mind.