Re: [News] Lenovo Preloads Linux, But Gives Windows Dual-boot Option for Free

> LCTP Series Linux Laptops
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Pre-loaded Red Hat/Fedora Linux, Ubuntu Linux; distribution CDs
> | included. Optional Dual-Boot Install with Windows XP.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lctp60.html
>
> They very suddenly retracted this type of offer, probably after threats from
> Microsoft. They were not the first. And there was no investigation
>
> As for the price, should it not be the other way around? Laptops should have
> Linux options that are free and have the distros fully preloaded by the OEM.

Actually they retracted the offer because of some pretty major problems
with shipping their proprietary thinkpad software and drivers with linux--
i.e. they're simply not done yet.  There were quite a few complaints,
including my own on the matter.

Microsoft had nothing to do with it, and I think they'll be offering them
again fairl soon.

Try not to get too completely caught up in the paranoia about microsoft.
Microsoft is a powerful company, but they have no chance against someone
who's backed up by IBM.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net