[News] Lenovo Preloads Linux, But Gives Windows Dual-boot Option for Free

LCTP Series Linux Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Pre-loaded Red Hat/Fedora Linux, Ubuntu Linux; distribution CDs
| included. Optional Dual-Boot Install with Windows XP.
`----

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lctp60.html

They very suddenly retracted this type of offer, probably after threats from
Microsoft. They were not the first. And there was no investigation

As for the price, should it not be the other way around? Laptops should have
Linux options that are free and have the distros fully preloaded by the OEM.

Related:

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

E.U. investigators want formal charge against Intel: report

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bC96B4158-E6F5-47DB-8164-A9E9141F7C5F%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

EU antitrust experts seek charges vs Intel-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission has been investigating chip-maker Intel for six years
| to see if it acts unfairly to keep its dominance over rival Advanced
| Micro Devices.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070117:MTFH01539_2007-01-17_10-23-02_BRU005303&type=comktNews

Hey dude, you're getting Linux on that Dell

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell Inc. has announced that it's taking the user suggestions
| seriously and will soon debut and sell a new line of certified,
| user-ready Linux-loaded desktop and laptop computers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011728&source=rss_news50
http://tinyurl.com/2xayah

At Dell, Windows XP Home is $19 less than worthless

,----[ Quote ]
| Latitude D520N Duo (with FreeDOS): $984
|
| Latitude D520 Dual Core (with Windows XP Home Edition SP2): $965
`----

http://danpritchard.com/blog/2007/02/21/dell-winxphome-19-less-than-worthless/

Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

,----[ Quote ]
| Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
| Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
| a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
| to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
| and specifically Linux.
| His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
| in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
| And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
| OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
| end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
| They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
| secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
| contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
| likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?
http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States