Re: IBM not ready to say Oracle's Linux compatible

__/ [ Philip ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 17:01 \__

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070223/tc_nm/ibm_oracle_dc_1
>
> <quote>
> IBM may one day support Oracle Linux. "We are going to wait and see if
> there is traction in the marketplace," McMahon said. "If clients want it
> (Oracle), then we will support it."</quote>
>
> Nothing unusual here. We use a major PLM vendor which still only
> supports RH EL3.

They are not prepared to guarantee compatibility, but Unbreakable is a
rebranded RHEL4 with slight tweaks, so it might be fine.

> It is going to be a long haul for Oracle to muscle into the enterprise
> Linux market.

The number of downloads is pitiful at present (orders of magnitude smaller
than that of competitors). The only good news is that Oracle urges Red Hat
and others to improve their service (costs remain stubbornly unchanged) and
add some packages to demonstate advantage over the knockoffs.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S