[News] Steve Ballmer's Mistake on Piracy

"Piracy reduction can be a source of Windows revenue growth"

,----[ Quote ]
| It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to save up for two months to
| buy Vista, Steve. Really. You'd be willing to spend $150,000 of your
| money on Vista Basic, wouldn't you? I'm sure all you need to do is
| tighten those screws, and the giant Chinese turnip will start
| squirting sweet, sweet blood to sustain you.
`----

http://wilshipley.com/blog/2007/02/piracy-reduction-can-be-source-of.html

The company is beginning to behave more like the RIAA as the days go by.
Sooner or later it'll be out of business because it squeezed to hard to stop
the decline in profits.

Related:

Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
| group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
| percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
| percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
| estimates, the last year for which data is available.
|
| [...]
|
| It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
| antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
| really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
| means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;7680622;fp;16;fpid;1

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html