Re: [News] A quick tour around Windows Vista

Mark Kent wrote:
> begin  oe_protect.scr

>> Little update: Homer's letter has made its way into the FSF Web
>> site.

> Excellent, well done Homer.

:)

> We need to protect ourselves against lazy journalism at the BBC,

I hope that's *all* it is.

> if they're getting it wrong, then nobody else is likely to get it
> right at all.  Interestingly, I suspect that the BBC's global
> influence is greater today than it has been since the latter days of
> the once globally dominant British Empire.  For all the US's global
> power, it lacks any equivalent to the BBC.

Maybe someone Stateside can confirm, but AFAIK they do rebroadcast
over there on both TV and radio, and of course their Website probably
gets a huge US hit too, including syndication.

When MS isn't leaning on them, or employing fanboys to print Vista
adverts, I think it's generally recognised that the BBC news sets the
standard. Of course some of their reporters do upset American
politicians and newscasters now and then, with comments about the
"incompetent American Military" :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14717.html

Having seen the cream of the American military in action, first hand,
I'd have to agree. Then again, judging from the stories some of the
E1's told at camp Doha, so would they.

Meanwhile, I think "Dame Edna" Murdoch owns most of the rest of the
News, if not planet earth (excluding those bits that Uncle Billy and
Sweaty Ballmer own), and if his influence on US News is anything like
his influence on British telly, then we're all doomed.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support
| any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the
| success of liberty.â - John F. Kennedy
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 06:03:56 up 52 days, 22:25,  3 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.31, 0.35