Re: [News] The Font Test; Verdict: "Yes, fonts on Linux look quite good!"

wjbell wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at it
| gives me headaches. Also, Linux's myth of bad font rendering
| is finally over.
`----

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/

Subject line quote from:

http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering

The fonts are still hideous in Linux. I admit clear type sucks. But the windows fonts with no clear type are totally sharper than the Ubuntu fonts. The Ubuntu fonts are globed up in corners and places are bleeding together.

If that's the level standards linux users have no wonder it's horrid.

Cleartype is excellent, and the version in Vista is even better. Anyone who knows anything about computer typography will tell you cleartype is superior to anything else out there. Linux font rendering is a joke.