[News] NSW (Australia) Government Still Considers Linux

NSW steers clear of Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| NSW government chief information officer Paul Edgecumbe said that the
| state's CIO executive council, which comprises technology bosses from
| many of NSW's largest computer and communications users, were not
| backing a move to Vista.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21024831%5E15306,00.html

Related and recent:

DET considers Linux on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The NSW Department of Education and Training (DET) may increase
| the penetration of Linux on its 165,000 desktop fleet because
| open source is "clearly an industry trend".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Video_DET_considers_Linux_on_the_desktop/0,130061733,339272567,00.htm?feed=rss

Talent Not Important At NineMSN

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last 6 months the following have left the organisation:
|
|     * CEO
|     * CTO
|     * CFO
|     * Marketing Director.
|     * National Sales Manager
|     * Executive Producer (News & Sport)
|     * Executive Producer (Sport)
|     * Head of Search
|     * Producer (Sport)
|     * Senior Copy Editor (7+ years @ ninemsn)
|     * Multimedia Producer (5+ years)
|     * The entire sports team (20 years experience) left to
|       competitors in < 2 months
|     * Producer of Hotmail, Messenger and Spaces
|
| [...]
|
| I'm all for cleaning house every once in a while, but this list is
| astonishing.
|
| [...]
|
| Better get a new ship is all I can say. This spells big trouble for
| Microsoft because it gets to a point where no matter how deep your pockets,
| if you can't recruit and retain talent, then the game is certainly up.
`----

http://blog.eightblack.com/2006/talent-not-important-at-ninemsn/

Linux powers nation's largest satellite network

,----[ Quote ]
| Some 75 towns across New South Wales have started accessing the
| Internet through Linux-based satellite routers in what is said to be
| largest network of its type in Australia spanning upwards of 800,000s
| quare kilometres.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;55499617;fp;4;fpid;18

Office, Vista "too expensive" for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Sydney Morning Herald, David Hanrahan, of IT  solutions
| and services provider Dimension Data said SMEs are staying away in
| droves because Office is a lot more expensive and facing competition
| from free open software.
`----  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vista: Costs limit Education Dept deployment

,----[ Quote ]
| After more than eight months of beta testing Microsoft Windows
| Vista, licensing and implementation costs have stymied mass
| adoption at the NSW Department of Education and Training (DET).
|
| [...]
|
| DET has one of the largest IT infrastructures in the country with
| 1.3 million users spread across 2,500 locations. Its desktop fleet
| consists of 250,000 devices of which 160,000 are personal computers.M
| acs make up 15 percent to 20 percent of the total, and are more
| common in primary schools.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Vista_Costs_limit_Education_Dept_deployment/0,130061733,339272347,00.htm

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

Feds assess open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----