Re: 50,000 New Linux Desktops Deployed in Brazil

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Saturday 06 January 2007 14:03 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> EnabledPeople & partners deploys 50,000 Linux desktops in
>> Brazil January 6
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| BitWay Computadores, Imtech Brazil and EnabledPeople
>>| launch massive deployments of Linux PCs with preinstalled
>>| Linux XP Desktop software for Brazil goverment program
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.enabledpeople.com/blog/2007/01/06/bitway-imtech-e
>> nabledpeople-had-deployed-about-50000-linux-desktops-in-braz
>> il-since-september-2006/
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yfy37p
>
> Roy, this is a continuation of good news.  50,000 is a
> significant number.  We are seeing desktop implementation bit
> by bit (or should I say byte by byte   :-).

Recently I have been seeing many people from Brasil in some Open Source
forums. There's also the 'network effect' to account for. Suddenly, getting
support from the next-door neighbour gets easy. Brasil is also part of the
OLPC initiative... with an _initial_ order of 1 million Linux laptops, IIRC.
Brasil was also the country whose opposition to OLPC-Microsoft was mentioned
by Nicholas who heads the initiative. They are likely to become a real
headache to Microsoft.

What I keep wondering is this: why is it all happening so quietly? It almost
as though folks are always trying to hide their pro-Linux agenda.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes for the new year!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie