[News] Microsoft Likely to Buy Its Way Into Web Services, Say Analysts

They have already used Novell to sneak their way into Linux, so...

Handicapping Tech's Great Expectations, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than simply predicting Internet merger mania, a safe but bland
| view, he sees Microsoft buying Yahoo!, IAC/InterActiveCorp or Time
| Warner's  America Online, and MSN chief Steve Berkowitz running
| Microsoft's resulting media empire. "If Microsoft does not buy AOL,
| Yahoo! will, and failing that, AOL will go public, but the IPO will
| receive a lukewarm review," Battelle wrote.
|
| Microsoft is certainly in a position to buy big names. And AOL is
| very likely to be in play, even if its brand has been somewhat
| tarnished in recent years. If Internet stocks drop significantly
| during 2007, the chances of these scenarios playing out will
| increase correspondingly.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/technet/10331003.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/yg2olk

Speaking of buying one's way into the market:

Looking at the Impact of Cisco's Latest Acquisition

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, as we've noted, is banking on its new Vista operating
| system to enhance its core security offering. Along with OneCare,
| Vista is a major part of Microsoft's security push in the consumer
| space. The firm also believes that Vista's enhanced security will
| be a big draw for corporate customers. The Vista features are
| complemented by the email security technology Microsoft added
| with the acquisition of FrontBridge in 2005.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/070105/538_id.html?.v=1

That right. Offer security as a product, not a trait.

Related:

10 Reasons Why Microsoft Will Aquire Yahoo In 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Will it happen? To me it seems like a no brainer... If Microsoft
| hopes to compete in this new internet economy (contextual ads)t
| hey need a bigger chunk of the search market. Yahoo is the
| only option IMO.
`----

http://www.shoemoney.com/2006/12/16/10-reasons-why-microsoft-will-aquire-yahoo-in-2007/

Microsoft Should Buy Yahoo, Says Merrill Lynch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft should acquire Yahoo! in order to fend off Google and solidify
| the software giant's Internet presence, according to a Friday report by
| Merrill Lynch.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/23/microsoft-yahoo-0623markets04.html?partner=yahootix

Yahoo rejects Microsoft search offer

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo CEO Terry Semel has revealed he recently rebuffed Microsoft's
| attempt to bag a stake in the company.
|
| Although the Yahoo boss didn't confirm what form the speculated
| overtures took, he slapped down the idea Yahoo would be willing to
| let Microsoft take a stake in the company.
|
| According to a report in the Financial Times, Semel said: "Microsoft
| taking over Yahoo--that conversation has never come up."
|
| He added: "(We discussed) search, and Microsoft co-owning some of our
| search. I will not sell a piece of search--it is like selling your
| right arm while keeping your left; it does not make any sense."
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10811_3-6071556.html?part=rss&tag=6071556&subj=news

If the WSJ says so, it must be true

,----[ Quote ]