[News] Microsoft Gives Discounts to Fight Linux and FLOSS and British Education

Just received the word through the grapevine.

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the agreement, which ran out last month, schools buying
| Microsoft software receive a discount ranging between 20 to
| 37 per cent.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/crn/news/2171922/microsoft-renews-becta-contract

Related:

UK Government criticised for stifling open sauce in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| MP Pugh reckons shcools should support independent or open source
| software firms. He says, "In my experience a school is a key part
| of the community and as such has a role to play in the economy of
| that community. By supporting SMEs the local high-technology
| industry will be encouraged which will benefit everyone."

Becta under fire for procurement framework

,----[ Quote ]
| Nineteen MPs have accused a government agency of restricting the
| procurement of software in schools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/becta_procurement_criticised/

MPs criticise government roadblocks to Open Source adoption in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government's own studies have shown savings of up to 60% can be
| made by schools and colleges using Open Source software. Despite this
| clear advantage, some MPs believe the software procurement frameworks
| from Becta and official advice from DfES effectively locks out the us
| of free, Open Source software.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=220

CRYPTOCard Protects Linux Network for Over 2000 Schools in the North of
England

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/314418_p.htm