Re: Novell Has Gone "Mixed Source", Says Exec

  • Subject: Re: Novell Has Gone "Mixed Source", Says Exec
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 2 Jan 2007 10:24:33 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Novell: We're a 'mixed-source' company
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Novell's controversial pact with Microsoft reflects the desire of the
> | number two Linux seller to position itself as a mixed-source company.
> `----
>
> http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61977995,00.htm

Despite yet another misleading headline from you - Novell hasn't "Gone"
anything. Novell has never been a pure Open-Source company. With very
few exceptions, most of the products that Novell sells (Netware,
eDirectory, GroupWise, etc.) are *not* OpenSource.

SuSE Linux is OpenSource as are a few of Novell's other offerings but
the majority of their products have never been OpenSource. Regardless
of how you attempt to misrepresent this, the Microsoft agreement hasn't
changed that one bit.