Re: [News] European Council Streams in Patented Proprietary Formats

  • Subject: Re: [News] European Council Streams in Patented Proprietary Formats
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 08:30:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 22:03 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Platform independent solution to watch "Streaming Service of the Council
>> of the European Union."
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The "Streaming Service of the Council of the European Union"
>>| should be available for everybody and not only for Mac and MS
>>| Windows users.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/eu_streaming_service_for_everybody
>>
>> Sign the petition.
>

> Done.

Almost 1700 signatures accumulated now. Ours are among the first (mine is
14th, same with Bruce Perens petition).

The outrageous thing is that their Web page actually said "we cannot support
Linux in a legal way". What on earth does /that/ mean? patented proprietary
technology standard -- yes, but open standards -- no?

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Mem:    514480k total,   479868k used,    34612k free,     8160k buffers