Re: Almost all Microsoft products at the top of the list ...

  • Subject: Re: Almost all Microsoft products at the top of the list ...
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 07:30:04 +0100 (CET)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Friday
>> Richard Rasker wrote:
>>
>>> ... of insecure software:
>>>
>>> http://secunia.com/gfx/Secunia_Year-end_Report_2006.pdf
>>>
>>> See page 4. No further comment necessary.
>>
>> Thanks, Page 4 is revealing:
>>
>> | Illustration 2: Software with the most number of
>> | advisories with "system access" as the impact (2006)
>>
>> #Advisories and Software:
>>
>> 16    Microsoft Office XP
>> 16    Microsoft Office 2000
>> 15    Microsoft Office 2003
>> 12    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
>> 11    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01
>> 10    Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac
>> 10    Microsoft Office X for Mac
>> 7     Microsoft Word 2000
>> 7     Microsoft Works Suite 2006
>> 7     Microsoft Word 2002
>> 7     Microsoft Works Suite 2004
>> 7     Microsoft PowerPoint 2002
>> 7     Mozilla Firefox 1.x
>> 7     Novell Open Enterprise Server
>> 7     Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
>> 7     Microsoft Works Suite 2005
>>
>> Probably a coincidence but I noticed Novell made the list.
>
> Novell is Microsoft's Linux Division. It replaces Port25,
> the Open Source Labs. Or does it...?

I am in a wait and see attitude.  Perhaps this is a less
popular notion.  Microsoft has ported Office to BSD
derivative, Apple.  That tells me that it would not be much
effort to go one mile further.  Do you think we will see an
Office port to Linux?

Probably not, because it would be viewed as a corporate Vista
killer.  However, if Microsoft is in the business for
continued existence, I would say such a move may make sense.

Had the US Justices decided on break up of Microsoft into two
separate companies, Operating System and Applications, we
might see it.

[OT] OTOH, we have seen AT&T re-merger with Bell.  It appears
the US has little interest in perpetuating the success of the
small business, with all the buyout of successful small
businesses in US by major corporations.

--
HPT