Re: [News] Jeremy Allison: Vista Continues to Catch Up With GNU/Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Vista at the tipping point

The problem for Microsoft is that most of this copying has
| already been done. Windows XP actually has most of the features of
| Linux and the Mac, though I'd complain they're implemented poorly
| in Windows. Even if Vista has improved on the implementation, what
| kind of a marketing message is "we now do things properly"?
`----

Yes, exactly. GUI has been defined. It works as intended.

It's the same thing in automobiles. I mean, when was the last real innovation in automobiles? The airbag? And that was an 'add on' technology, not real core innovation.

The car essentially makes little explosions from fuel that pump cylinders that make the wheels go. Same as 100 years ago.

The GUI is there to let people launch applications easier than a line command. That principle is established. The window, mouse, icon was established in 1968.

The real action in computing today is web 2.0, communities, RSS-"casts", YOU! personal broadcast technology, blogging.

I feel that Linux applies more to all these technologies because it's more stable, secure and malleable -- I can cast it more easily to small or large foot prints, and change it as needed.

--
The Texeme Construct