[News] Promoting Web Sites Using Windows Zombies

Four arrested in Japan over dating site spam blizzard

,----[ Quote ]
| Four men suspected of sending an internet-congesting 5.4 billion spam
| emails to promote a dating website have been arrested in Japan.
|
| [...]
|
| "China ranks as the second-worst country in the world for relaying
| spam, but that doesn't mean that the spammers themselves are based
|                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| there," said Graham Cluley of the anti-virus software firm Sophos.
| ^^^^^
| "Spammers may make use of computers in China to make investigations
| more complicated and to take advantage of lower infrastructure
| costs."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/japan_dating_spam_arrest/

China takes a lot of criticism for SPAM, but it is actually Microsoft's
fault.

Related:

=== Begin quote ==

    "The cost of these steps could reduce our operating margins. Despite
    these efforts, actual or perceived security vulnerabilities in our
    products could lead some customers to seek to return products, to reduce
    or delay future purchases, or to use competing products. Customers may
    also increase their expenditures on protecting their existing computer
    systems from attack, which could delay adoption of new technologies. Any
    of these actions by customers could adversely affect our revenue. In
    addition, actual or perceived vulnerabilities may lead to claims against
    us. While our license agreements typically contain provisions that
    eliminate or limit our exposure to such liability, there is no assurance
    these provisions will be held effective under applicable laws and
    judicial decisions."

Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally responsible
for selling software that is insecure.

== End quote ==