Re: Comment: Microsoft's latest Linux offensive is an enormous blunder

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 18 January 2007 16:55 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Wednesday
>>
>>> I would not necessarily say the leopard is changing its spots.  What I
>>> see instead is opportunist action.  IMHO, had their really been reasons
>>> for lawsuit, we would have seen Microsoft jump into action.  Shoot, was
>>> it not long ago that they went after a high schooler for having a website
>>> name similar to Microsoft?
>>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/19/offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/

>>> Article is rather humorous on how the Microsoft legal team offered the
>>> student $10 to give up the site, which is ridiculous.  Student counters
>>> with a $10K offer.  Then legal team rebuts with a 25 page letter to a 17
>>> year old.
>>>
>>> Perhaps with a sense of cynicism it would not surprise me if CNN removes
>>> link shortly after this posting, as Microsoft is one of their
>>> advertisers.
>>>
>>> To make a long story short, now his site is:
>>>
>>> http://www.mrstudios.net/

>>> As a kind touch, he offers TLC for those with a suffering Microsoft
>>> system.
>>
>> Damn. I forgot all about that story. But have a look at the latest and see
>> what Apple Corp. is suing /bloggers/ over... it seems like Linux can never
>> sue (FSF sends letters), but its monetised users can get sued. To us,
>> getting sued for anything would be a case of suing the sky.
>
> Actually, that is really stretching things.  MikeRoweSoft = Microsoft?
> This
> is extremely absurd.  What if one wanted to sell agricultural management
> software and called it Mygrowsoft?
>
> Are you referring to:
>
> http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/18/apple-goes-after-macbidouille/
>
> | Apple's legal team has issued a cease and desist order to MacBidouille, a
> | French Mac-fan website, in response to the detailed information and
> | BitTorrent links they posted to videos demonstrating how to run Mac OS X
> | on Intel-based non-Mac hardware.

I was thinking about something very recent. Someone created iPhone-esque
themes for Palm OS and Windows Mobile. I posted this to COLA...

> It sounds benign enough, I am not sure why it would be worth making a
> lawsuit over.  In both cases, it leaves the impression that American
> companies will sue over frivolous issues.
>
> Simplest solution is to say, "Screw OS X" and run Linux.  Perhaps that
> might be a reason for Europa embracing Linux, since both Microsoft and
> Apple are non-EU products.

The classic in my mind is this... suing Macdonalds for selling food that is
not healthy. Or Kramer's "the coffee was too hot", which apparently is based
on a true story.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
Tasks: 146 total,   1 running, 144 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie