Re: Novell Does What 10 Years Of Advocacy Has Failed To Do

  • Subject: Re: Novell Does What 10 Years Of Advocacy Has Failed To Do
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:17:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Miguel de Icaza <miguel.de.icaza@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Hello,
>> (this may, as a matter of fact, include those who used to consider
>> themselves part of the Opensuse community, me included) do not seem to fancy
>> this legal minefield. In your deal, for example, the acknowledgement that
>> patent exchanges are justified, only give credence to prospective
>> allegations and demands. Also confer:
>
> The original post talks about Novell withdrawing support from Mono.
> Not about the general public withdrawing support for Mono.  My
> corrections were precisely along those lines, Novell has not
> discontinued any support of Mono.
>
> So you are barking at the wrong tree.  But since we are in that tree,
> yes, it is unfortunate that the Novell/Microsoft has made some people
> uncomfortable.

Signing up to a deal which supports software patents with Microsoft is
not merely "unfortunate",  it shows a complete lack of respect for the
developer community which produced so much of the software which Novell
sells now.  Fortunately, the pressure from Microsoft has not been so
successful in the EU as it has been on Novell, and the EU government
structures have not caved in the same way as the Novell board did.

I wonder how long your project will be supported in Novell, before
someone from Microsoft visits your seniors, hands over a bit more cash,
and you find yourself looking for a job?  I hope your CV is up to date.

Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced -- even a proverb is no proverb
to you till your life has illustrated it.  -- John Keats