Re: [News] Linux in Dual-head Thin Clients

__/ [ Arne Knut Roev ] on Thursday 18 January 2007 00:27 \__

> 7 wrote:
>  > Will thin clients matter any more?
>
> An operative word in the announcement is "silent". There are a number of
> usage-scenarios where one wants to avoid any addition of noise, even the
> rather low level of noise that follows harddisks and cooling-fans.
>
> Also, since so many usage-scenarios involve storing all data on a
> central server,
> one can just as well utilize it for system installation and maintenance
> purposes,
> also. This would render a useful gain in simplicity (or, rather, lack of
> (unneeded)
> complications).
>
> Money are often important, but they are by no means the only factor
> involved in
> a buying decision.

Yes, these are all valid points. Electricity consumption and centralised
backup might be noteworthy considerations too. That said, I use a 165
GBPound computer which would cost more like GBP 120 nowadays and there are
ways of setting these things up so that they operate in a Web/network-based
fashion and feed back information to one central point. I suppose it all
boils down to the task at hand.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S