Re: [News] DRM Encouraging Piracy, Not Stopping It

begin  oe_protect.scr
Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> MPAA: Frustrated Consumers Will Pirate
>>
>> ,----[ Excerpt ]
>> | The MPAA's Brad Hunt outlined some of the ways the MPAA is working
>> | to standardize content protection controls in the age of digital
>> | home networking. But he also acknowledged that piracy is the
>> | consumer's answer to the content industry's inability to provide
>> | a simple digital-rights-management solution.
>
> No, piracy is the consumer's answer to the industry's money grabbing
> techniques: when CDs came out, and before purchasing cassettes became
> [almost] impossible, the same Album cost around £15 on CD, whereas on tape
> it was around £10.  Are they seriously trying to tell me that the CD cost
> around £5 (or 33%) more to produce than the tape?  Or at £10 the tape was a
> loss leader?  Or are they admitting that the tapes they produced were crap
> and that the extra 33% was for [decent] quality output?

Actually, the original argument was that vinyl was better quality than
cassette tape, and they were less expensive to ship, although more
expensive to make.  Once CDs came along, they were similar price to
ship, less expensive to make, and better quality than cassette and
vinyl.

> Similarly for videos under VHS & DVD: DVDs often cost more for the same
> content - some of which can't be skipped (like ads) which means that
> /they're actually *stealing*/ from me (and you): time & electricity.[1]

Yup, but the music & film publishers don't care a toss about you, they
just want your cash.

> [1] FACT in their unskippable 30 second anti-piracy ad has so far *stolen*
> at least 15 minutes of my time & electricity.  Hypocrisy or what?

The state of innocence contains the germs of all future sin.
		-- Alexandre Arnoux, "Etudes et caprices"