Re: [News] DRM Encouraging Piracy, Not Stopping It

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

MPAA: Frustrated Consumers Will Pirate

,----[ Excerpt ]
| The MPAA's Brad Hunt outlined some of the ways the MPAA is working
| to standardize content protection controls in the age of digital
| home networking. But he also acknowledged that piracy is the
| consumer's answer to the content industry's inability to provide
| a simple digital-rights-management solution.

No, piracy is the consumer's answer to the industry's money grabbing techniques: when CDs came out, and before purchasing cassettes became [almost] impossible, the same Album cost around £15 on CD, whereas on tape it was around £10. Are they seriously trying to tell me that the CD cost around £5 (or 33%) more to produce than the tape? Or at £10 the tape was a loss leader? Or are they admitting that the tapes they produced were crap and that the extra 33% was for [decent] quality output?

Similarly for videos under VHS & DVD: DVDs often cost more for the same content - some of which can't be skipped (like ads) which means that /they're actually *stealing*/ from me (and you): time & electricity.[1]

[1] FACT in their unskippable 30 second anti-piracy ad has so far *stolen* at least 15 minutes of my time & electricity. Hypocrisy or what?