Re: CodeWeavers partner with Douglas Stewart company ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Sunday 14 January 2007 15:47 \__

> "CodeWeavers, Inc. .. today announced a partnership with The Douglas
> Stewart Company aimed at bringing CodeWeavers' upcoming CrossOver Mac
> to colleges and universities across North America"
>
> "The Douglas Stewart Company is a worldwide leader in product
> distribution to academic resellers at all levels, from colleges and
> universities to the K-12 market"
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2823/

If they go CrossOver, they ought to go Linux, not Mac. Didn't they learn
their lessons from the previous lockins/monopoly/suppressive and Draconian
ruler?

See the following recent stories:

College puts KBOX to the test

,----[ Quote ]
| Oregon's Portland Community College is one of the largest community
| colleges in the country, with 90,000 students, five campuses, and a
| huge network to manage. PCC's policy is to use open source software
| whenever possible because of its enhanced value.
|
| [...]
|
| "The functionality [of KBOX] is excellent and it is easy to deploy," he
| says. "We don't need to staff up -- it's pretty close to plug-and-play,
| with minor configuration. We had it up and running in a couple of days."
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/enterprise/06/12/13/1552240.shtml?tid=129&tid=7

OpenOffice.org in Universities and Colleges Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| As OpenOffice.org continues to improve, one target market that seems
| poised to adopt en masse is education, specifically college and high
| school students.
`----

http://www.solidoffice.com/archives/382

Monash Uni takes Notes on collaboration

,----[ Quote ]
| ...IBM's Lotus Notes for some 60,000 staff and students
|
| [...]
|
| In what also may a first for an implementation of this scale, the Notes
| Domino back end will be installed on Red Hat Linux.
|
| McMeekin said the fact that Notes is cross platform did influence the
| decision to go with Notes, whose client software is supported by Windows,
| Mac OS X, and Linux.
|
| "We will manage the infrastructure in-house post deployment as there is a
| lot of experience running Linux and a lot of our applications run on it,"
| he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1944589254&rid=-50

The Case for Linux in Universities

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Universities which do these things will better prepare their students
| for the real world, find themselves in a stronger bargaining position
| when it's time to renew their contracts with Microsoft, and spend less
| money on software and computer security problems.
`----

http://openubuntu.blogspot.com/2006/12/case-for-linux-in-universities.html

University of Regina offers open source course

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, software giants like Microsoft have found open source
| software like Linux and Firefox nipping at their heels.
|
| Open source software is typically available for free and is set up so
| that programmers around the world can tinker with the code and make
| improvements.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, the University of Regina has joined the fray, launching its
| first senior-level course in open source software development.
`----

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/02012007/3/canada-u-r-offers-open-source-course.html

Letter from IT Personnel at Purdue University: No Upgrades to Vista, Office
2007, or even IE7

,----[ Quote ]
| Purdue University is a Big Ten school with 40,000+ students and a
| fairly tech savvy campus. But due to bugs, compatibility issues,
| and lack of backwards compatibility, Purdue is holding off on
| Microsoft upgrades for now.
`----

http://www.computers.net/2007/01/letter_from_it_.html

Among many more...

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
Mem:    514480k total,   483336k used,    31144k free,    23600k buffers